Farewell to the Christmas Season

Since it is now February, I no longer have any excuse for leaving up the remaining Christmas decorations.  February means Valentine decorations, and in order to put those up, the last of Christmas had to be packed away. 

The Christmas tree came down, and most of the decorations were packed away, in the week following Epiphany. 

My Christmas Village was invaded this year.

Though some of the invaders just came for the hot chocolate.

The garden bunnies are inside for the winter, and the one on the right was obviously unnerved by the invasion.  The other two seemed to find it all very entertaining.  A show just for them!

This was the reason I decided to leave the "greenery" up through January.  I was so pleased with the way the chandelier came out this year I couldn't bear to take it down.  Besides, it would lend an air of cheerfulness and festivity to the long, dark month of January, something I always need quite badly.

Can you tell I'm partial to gold and glitter and sparkle?

But, thank Heaven, January, that longest and darkest month of winter, is now over, and the days are visibly longer.  It stays light till 5:00pm!  Though, this is New Hampshire and we have at least two more months of Winter - "at least" because last year we had a snow and ice storm in mid-April - the light is returning and the garden catalogs are arriving, which means there will be Spring!  That deserves a lot of exclamation points.  I am told the overuse of exclamation points is childish and not good writing, so I usually try to restrain myself, but the anticipation of Spring is not the time for restraint.

Today's Quote
Happiness is not so much in having as sharing.  We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
Norman MacEwan


1 comment:

  1. I love the invasion pic, especially since I don't believe you have any kiddos to hold responsible. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Today from VioletThyme

A New Camera for Peony Season

The front garden.  Ox-eye daisies, peonies, and roses.                  My camera died this spring, most inconveniently during spring ...